Sara McMahon, recognized with Dance for PD® certification by the Mark Morris Dance Group and Brooklyn Parkinson Group, continues to lead classes with the Flynn. These classes, under Sara's leadership, have been recognized by this national organization as high-quality dance classes using a specific approach and methodology which results in inspiring, beneficial, and creative movement experiences for the Parkinson’s community. The Dance for PD name and logo represent quality, innovation, and excellence and are trademarks of Mark Morris Dance Group and Brooklyn Parkinson Group, used under license. Partners & caregivers of students are welcome to join as well.
Please Note: While this class is free, registration is required. Click the red 'FREE' button above to register.
Instructor Sara McMahon will be in touch with all new participants prior to their first class to ensure students are set up to participate safely from home.
Students in online classes are asked to follow the Flynn's Online Class Code of Conduct:
- No hate speech, discrimination, or bullying (including cyberbullying) is allowed in Flynn Online programming, video chats, or communications of any kind. Cyberbullying includes sending, posting, or sharing negative, harmful, false, or mean content about someone else. It can include sharing personal or private information about someone else causing embarrassment or humiliation. Some cyberbullying crosses the line into unlawful or criminal behavior. Bullying of any kind, including cyberbullying, may result in expulsion from class/camp.
- Respect of chosen names and pronouns must be exhibited by participants.
- Participants must follow rules and guidelines shared by the Teaching Artist.
- Nothing shared within Flynn Online programs is to be shared on any other platforms without the permission of the user. (For instance, do not share someone else’s videos/comments without their permission).
Zoom class guidelines and protocols for Movement for Parkinsons from instructor Sara McMahon:
- Most important is that you find a chair that offers stability and allows you to move comfortably. Ensure that you have 360 degrees of space (extend arms and legs to reach all around).
- Please look around your space and remove any obstacles such as, canes, walkers, plants, rugs, or pets.`
- It is fine to stop whenever you need to for medication or water breaks. Good to have a water bottle right next to chair within your reach.
- I want to encourage people to participate with a loved one at home for maximum safety (and enjoyment).
- If at anytime you are feeling discomfort with a movement please stop and find a movement that is in your range of motion, flexibility and level of comfort.
Movement for Parkinsons is not a licensed medical care provider and represents that it has no expertise in diagnosing, examining, or treating medical conditions of any kind, or in determining the effect of any specific exercise on a medical condition. MfPD strongly recommends that you consult with your physician before beginning any exercise or dance program.
You should understand that when participating in any exercise or dance program, there is the possibility of physical injury. If you engage in these online dance classes, you agree that you do so at your own risk, are voluntarily participating in these activities, assume all risk of injury to yourself, and agree to release and discharge Movement for Parkinson’s and M sara McMahon from any and all claims or causes of action, known or unknown, arising out of MfPD negligence.
All content of Movement for PD may not be copied or used for any commercial, promotional or other business purpose. I have read the above release and waiver of liability and fully understand its contents. I voluntarily agree to the terms and conditions stated above.
*Weekly Movement for PD classes will be offered via ZOOM. I and our tech support people Fritz & Betsy will be online and available to assist with technical difficulties and invite participants into the class 20 minutes before class start time. Each session will include a 10 minute check-in, 50 minute movement experience, and 10 minute closing conversation.